A Guide to Gua Sha: Find Your Perfect Match
Happy Wellness Wednesday Fam! I don't know about you, but these last few weeks have been nonstop. While I am so grateful - I feel it catching up to me, and I need a little R&R. It's crazy times like these where I take a pause, focus my energy inward and listen to what my body needs, especially right now; caring for two! It was in this moment of reflection that I was inspired to put the ultimate shopping guide on Gua Sha together. I genuinely believe it is a game-changer and that every natural beauty needs one (or two or three!) in her beauty counter.
What is Gua Sha? It is an ancient Chinese technique developed to induce healing. Gua Sha has evolved since that time, and today, the tool is used and loved by skincare and beauty professionals around the world. This powerful tool is capable of depuffing tired and stressed skin with just a few light-pressure strokes around the face. It aids in improving circulation, lymphatic drainage, and bringing fresh blood flow to your skin's surface - which in turn helps the healthy-aging process.
The effects are far-reaching, but the key to achieving them is consistency. You can use it at night while catching up on your tv shows or while reading or scrolling (guilty!). Whenever you choose, be sure to commit to yourself and make regular Gua Sha a ritual. It only takes a few minutes, 2-3xs a week, to see the benefits and feel it working. You may have seen people on social using Gua Sha and wonder - does it even work? I am here to confirm that YES, it absolutely works, and you should be using one on the regular. Gua Sha massage contours and lifts by massaging the fascia in your face, in only a few minutes! This is why I love to use it before a photoshoot or a night out. It really is a magic wand. Now which stone is best for you? (You don't have to pick just one!)
Jade Gua Sha: A De La Heart fan-favorite! Most commonly used stone, Jade is naturally cool to the touch and soothing as the technique brings heat to the face organically. This gemstone is known for its healing properties and is a regular in my beauty rituals.
Rose Quartz Gua Sha: The Rose Quartz gemstone is a soft pink hue that opens the heart chakra encouraging self-love, comfort, compassion, and inner peace. I recommend choosing a stone whose energy will serve you in the moment.
White Jade Gua Sha: I call this the specialized and supercharged stone. This gem is recognized for its anti-inflammatory and detoxifying properties. The unique ripples help dredge out toxins from the face, improving circulation and purifying the blood. The deeper fascia release is beneficial in flushing excess fluid and bacteria from the skin's surface, which is ideal if you are experiencing water retention or acne breakouts.
Stainless Steel Gua Sha: Made of sleek and sustainable stainless steel, our latest self-care tool is perfect for anyone who’s looking for a non-porous alternative for their gua sha ritual.
How to use your Gua Sha stone:
1. Lather your clean face with your favorite skin serum to ensure a smooth glide when massaging.
2. Hold the stone at a 45 degree angle and begin to glide firm, but comfortable strokes from the center of your face outward, starting with your jawline.
3. Work your way up to your cheekbones and under your eyes, pulling the strokes back towards your hairline. As if you were suggesting a lifting motion.
4. Finish with upward strokes from the top of your brow to your hairline. Repeat these strokes on each side of your face for a minimum of 5-7 minutes to achieve the sculpting benefits. **Slight redness may occur but should resolve within a few minutes.
5. Follow this treatment with your favorite moisturizer, and let nature do the rest.
6. Clean after each use with a mild soap and warm water or damp cloth with alcohol to prevent any bacteria build-up.
***While these statements are supported by my research and personal experiences, they have not been verified by the FDA or a medical professional. These statements are not intended to cure or treat any ailments or diseases. Please consult a qualified healthcare professional before starting any at-home massage or skincare regimen to ensure these techniques are right for you.