12 Wellness Trends to Follow in 2020
In the last decade, we went back to basics and embraced wellness and holistic health with open arms. From self-care to avocado toast and yoga to natural beauty, it seems like everyone was onboard with prioritizing how we nourish our bodies and minds.
The best part is the health and wellness movement isn't just a trend, it is here to stay. The industry is now estimated to be worth $4.2 trillion and continues to grow day by day. You might be wondering what's coming next, so we rounded up the top 2020 Wellness Trends to keep your eye on. Broken down by Food, Mind & Body, Beauty, and Sustainability, check out what trends made the list and see where the industry as a whole is headed.
2020 Food Trends
1. Plant-Based Everything: With alternative options for staples like burger patties and eggs becoming more and more popular, you can only imagine what plant-based products are to come in the next year. Even the fast food industry is adopting to healthier and more sustainable options, and we couldn't be more excited!
2. Bye Bye Sugar: From packaged products to top chefs, we have started to see serious efforts towards reducing or eliminating sugar all together. Consumers are more aware of the dangers of artificial sweeteners and how easy it is to hide them, so expect food labels to become both cleaner and clearer. Transparency is key as the demand for clarity grows.
3. Mocktails: Being sober curious is having a huge moment and there are many explanations behind the recent surge in quasi-sobriety. Ultimately, it comes down to living a life in alignment. People prioritize their healthy lifestyles more than ever and the effects of a night out drinking don't exactly line up well. We can anticipate more mocktails and low-ABV (alcohol by volume) cocktails on menus at bars and restaurants.
2020 Mind & Body Trends
4. Talk Therapy: Seeing a therapist used to be taboo, but nowadays millennials are being called the "therapy generation." With depression and anxiety on the rise, it's actually wonderful to see people are doing something about it and taking control of their mental health. Although traditional therapy is still around, virtual video-based therapy options are becoming more popular as they're a convenient and low cost option. Not having a therapist is so last decade.
5. Unplug & Unwind: For better or for worse, technology has become an integral part of our daily lives and there's no real way to reverse that. From work to home life, it's a touchpoint we simply cannot avoid. However, we are seeing a surge of apps and tools that help us monitor our screen-time. Consumers know they can't escape using technology, but they're becoming more mindful of their habits and prioritizing moments to truly unplug and go offline.
6. More Cannabinoids Please: CBD seems to be trending year after year, but it will only continue to grow in 2020 with the newly passed Farm Bill, which removed hemp from the Controlled Substances Act. However, get ready to add CBC, CBG, CBN, and more to your wellness alphabet. CBD isn't the only cannabinoid that benefits our health and you'll soon be seeing other three letter acronyms make their way on skincare and food products.
2020 Beauty Trends
7. Electrolytes: No longer a buzzword associated with sports drinks, in 2020 you'll start to see electrolytes popping up in products by your favorite skincare brands. They're simply defined as "minerals that carry an electric charge," and you likely already know and use a few such as calcium, potassium, and magnesium. They are often featured together as they help maintain skin's cell function and stabilize pH levels.
8. Skincare Capsules: This is already a big one in Europe and you can expect to see it takeoff in America this year. Single-dose skin-care capsules (often referred to as ampoules) are a brilliant way to help preserve the potency of certain ingredients. Retinol and vitamin C, for example, are sensitive to air and sunlight exposure. By encapsulating these ingredients into ampoules, they have a longer shelf life and can deliver optimal results.
9. Go Natural: Clean, non-toxic beauty is becoming a priority for consumers. We're seeing more and more exclusively natural beauty and skincare lines pop up, in addition to established companies launching non-toxic versions of their well-known products. We value the quality of what we eat and where it was sourced, and those same questions are now being applied to what we put on our skin as well.
2020 Sustainability Trends
10. Single-Use Plastic: It started with beautiful reusable water bottles, and then moved on to carrying your own wooden straw and utensils at all times. In 2020, expect to see more people ditching single-use plastic and adopting more sustainable habits. From grocery stores offering only paper bags to consumers using more glass in their households, single-use plastic should (hopefully) soon become a thing of the past.
11. Efficient Commuting: An uptick in carpooling, electric cars, shared Uber rides, and even biking goes to show that people are more mindful of how they're getting around town. Gone are the days of burning gas without much thought. We anticipate this trend to really take hold in 2020 - expect to see more green ways to commute and move about.
12. Composting: Saving scraps of food used to mark being the ultimate hippie, but now it's more commonplace than ever. With sleek and discrete compost bins on the market, we're seeing more and more people take up an interest in this sustainable trend. Additionally, compost centers are popping up all over the place for those who aren't ready to commit to a consistent compost practice.