You know we love our lymphatic drainage massages, but let's set the record straight: No amount of "manual work" can overpower a diet that's high in processed foods. When it comes to revealing the appearance of lean, long, lines on your body, you have to consider that it all starts from within.
Manual therapy techniques like using our Lymphatic Drainage Body tool are great to stimulate and tighten skin externally, think--the cherry on the cake. However, we must also incorporate colorful, whole foods on our plates every day to support and our nourish skin from the inside out.
We've included a list of 10 Foods to Tone & Tighten Skin naturally and effectively. The best part? The majority of these are kitchen staples and totally budget friendly. You are what you eat, and these skin superfoods are sure to promote the appearance of smooth, supple skin from head to toe.
- Broccoli, which is packed with nutrients such as vitamin C and vitamin A, can benefit the body in numerous ways. It contains something called alpha lipoic acid, which is why we had to include it first on our list as one of the best foods to combat cellulite. Alpha lipoic is a powerful naturally-occurring substance that prevents collagen from "hardening" and getting tough in your body. While that works on prevention, the high amount of vitamin C in broccoli will increase collagen production. Try to include 3 to 4 servings of this skin superfood into your diet on a weekly basis, if not more!
- Flaxseed is known to be the richest dietary source of lignans, a type of phytoestrogen, and contains up to 800 times more lignans than other plant. Lignans have been studied for their ability to moderate oestrogen levels, and are recommended as a natural way to combat hormonal imbalance.A tablespoon of ground flaxseeds every day might just assist in weight loss and the appearance of cellulite as well - it's a win/win.
- For our spicy lovers, you're going to thrilled to hear Cayenne made it on the list. This anti-inflammatory spice has been shown to improve circulation and give a boost to your metabolism by activating fat-burning mechanisms. Research suggests that poor circulation contributes to stubborn cellulite, which makes cayenne a must try. Manual massaging helps improve circulation, but incorporating foods like cayenne into your diet will help "warm your body internally" and further encourage blood flow.
- Cilantro is another delicious, yet powerful superfood when it comes to combating cellulite from within. Containing vitamins C, provitamin A, and K, as well as other minerals and nutrients, cilantro is said to support healthy, smooth looking skin in the body. Cilantro promotes detoxification in the body and can ultimately help reduce excess fat storage, which in turn minimizes the appearance of cellulite. Gather your girls up for a taco night, and be sure to feature cilantro and cayenne while seasoning!
- Oranges get all the credit when it comes to foods rich in vitamin C, but just one cup of Bell Peppers provides our bodies with 3 times the recommended amount we should intake daily. Vitamin C isn't just beneficial for our facial skin, it's also incredible for our chest, arms, thighs, and beyond. Since vitamin C is a critical nutrient for the production of collagen, getting enough of it in our diets will promote overall skin elasticity - as in, firm, taut thighs.
- You've likely heard Berries are a great natural source of anti-oxidants, but do you know how that contributes to smooth looking skin? Anti-oxidants look for and destroy harmful free radicals in our bodies, which we're naturally exposed to via UV rays and air pollution. Free radicals not only damage collagen, but they overtime will weaken connective tissues. Load up on berries as often as you can to curb sugar cravings and help your body get rid of unwanted toxins. Whether you blend them up in a smoothie, eat them raw with honey, or sprinkle them on top of yogurt, it's easy to incorporate berries into your diet daily.
- Chamomile tea is best known as a natural sleep aid, but it's also great at promoting healthy skin. It all comes back to looking at our health through a holistic, big picture lens. We all know stress impacts our mental health, but did you know it can also influence the appearance of cellulite? When our bodies experience chronic stress, levels of adrenalin and cortisol dramatically increase.. which has been shown to actually worsen the appearance of cellulite. By opting for less caffeine, and more chamomile, you'll help your body regulate stress, and in turn, help tighten and tone skin.
- For the fruit lovers, get your hands on some Grapefruit and enjoy the glow-enhancing effects of vitamin C and nourishing anti-oxidants! Rich in the Beta Carotene, its restorative properties are known to help repair skin and simulate the production of collagen.
- Thanks to an abundance of nutrients and omega-3 fatty acids, Nuts are an essential superfood that promote plump, glowing, healthy skin. They contain vitamin E, which is known to be a vital a nutrient that helps skin stay firm and elastic. Additionally, the anti-inflammatory acids they contain act as a natural botox and help strengthen the protective barriers (aka membranes) of skin cells.
- We're finishing off our list with the key superfood that's vital for every age, size, and diet: Water! You can eat the other foods we recommended all day long, but nothing is going to get absorbed or flush out properly without your body being properly hydrated. By meeting the daily minimum requirement of 64 ounces, you'll support all biological processes and ensure your body is performing at full capacity.