What To Wear On A First Date
I haven't been on a first date in a while, however, I did go on many first dates before I met my husband.
Let's face it, a first date has the ability to give you those "first day of school" butterflies. What if she/he is weird? I wonder if we'll vibe? etc etc etc. Truth is, there is no point in worrying about things we can't control so let's focus on what we can control: our outfit.
There are so many unspoken "rules" when it comes to what to wear on a first date that it can get a little confusing. You are obviously trying because you want to give a good first impression, but you don't want to look like you actually tried. You feel me? Since cupid is out there doing his thing, here are a few pointers that should help you pick the right date-night outfit.
1. Feel Good, Look Good: Wear whatever makes you feel like the best version of yourself. You must look and most importantly, feel comfortable. Don't go shopping and buy something new. Wear something you already own, love, and know that it looks and feels good on you.
2. Keep It Cool: Not the time to pull out that statement piece. I suggest you go pretty neutral, think black, white, and earth tones. Black and white is always a sexy combo.
3. Be Subtle: It's okay to show off some skin, but pick one part you want to show: legs, arms, cleavage, back, or shoulder. You don't want to send off the wrong message by being too sexy, aka no sexy time on the first date. That was always my rule!
4. Stay Ahead Of the Game: In most cases you know where you're going and what you'll be doing, so dress appropriately. Google or Instagram search the place, you don't want to be overdressed or underdressed.
5. Look approachable. You want to look relaxed... you are letting someone in! So don't wear anything constrictive, it may make you look too high maintenance. Avoid structured blazers/jackets and big puffers.
6. Wear your hair down. Think soft beachy waves, or straight with movement. This goes back to looking relaxed and effortless. Let their imagination run wild as you play with your hair...
7. Natural Glow: Don't wear too much makeup, but don't wear too little. Think nice brows, mascara, bronzer, blush, and a peachy lip. Don't wear red or dark lipstick (unless you're a pro at it) you don't want to be running to the bathroom every 5 min to make sure its not all over your teeth.
8. Be Prepared: Check the weather before getting dressed. Need we say more?
I always felt more comfortable on a first date in: high heels, jeans, a silk tank top/ a cool bodysuit/ band tee, light jacket over (if the weather called for it), and natural hair and makeup. This combo is versatile and can easily take you from dinner at a fancy restaurant to a concert or nightclub...sometimes the date goes so well that you end up being out all night. I was out until 5am the first time I went out with my husband. Best of luck lovebirds!