As I have been (slowly) drifting away from animal products, I decided to move away from bone broth as well. However, I looove sipping on this warming liquid gold all day long, so we removed the bones and added more vegetables. Making broth may seem like its a lot of work, but it really isn't. Plus, you guys already know I don't like to spend hours in the kitchen. I make it once a week and sometimes it lasts me for 2 weeks (we keep it frozen). This recipe also comes with a bonus--blend all the vegetable scraps and turn them into a yummy soup!
INGREDIENTS (makes 12 servings)
*I prefer to use 100% organic produce, but it's optional.
1 bunch of celery, diced
- 12 carrots, diced
- 1/2 butternut squash, cubed
- 4 yellow onions
- 1 stem of ginger root, peeled and minced
- 5 small stems of turmeric root, peeled and minced
- 1 bunch of cilantro
- 1 lemongrass stem
- 1 cup peeled and sliced celery root
- 5 garlic cloves, peeled
- 24 cups of water
- Place all ingredients in a large stock pot.
- Cover the pot and bring water to a boil over high heat, and then reduce to a simmer for 4-6 hours.
- Strain and pour into mason jars, when cold, freeze what is not being consumed right away.
- Enjoy warm at any time of the day!