After overindulging during the holidays, my body always craves a little reset to get back on track. One of my favorite and most effective tricks is to sip on some broth throughout the day to balance my metabolism. Giving your body a break from the strain of digesting greasy/fatty foods allows it to focus on its digestive process, maintaining adequate energy levels, and keeps your mind from becoming sluggish.
INGREDIENTS (makes 12 servings)
*I prefer to use 100% organic produce, but it's optional.
- 1 bunch of celery, diced
- 12 carrots, diced
- 1/2 butternut squash, cubed
- 4 yellow onions
- 1 stem of ginger root, peeled and minced
- 5 small stems of turmeric root, peeled and minced
- 1 bunch of cilantro
- 1 lemongrass stem
- 1 cup peeled and sliced celery root
- 5 garlic cloves, peeled
- 24 cups of water
- Place all ingredients in a large stock pot.
- Cover the pot and bring water to a boil over high heat, and then reduce to a simmer for 4-6 hours.
- Strain and pour into mason jars, when cold, freeze what is not being consumed right away.
- Enjoy warm at any time of the day!