Steel Cut Oats For Lactating Mamas
Postpartum traditions around the world favor food that is soft, soupy, warm, moist, creamy, and fairly mild--with a touch of sweet here and there--for the initial period after birth. Since your digestion is considered to be a little slower and weaker than normal, it's best to eat gently before going back to your regular diet.
Eating a bowl of oats every morning is a frequently heard recommendation for increasing milk supply when breastfeeding. Due to its high content of iron (half a cup of dry oats has close to 2 mg of iron, or around 20 percent of what breastfeeding moms need per day) it is recommended by a number of lactation specialists. Not to mention it's delicious and I look forward to it every morning!
INGREDIENTS (serves 2)
- 1 Cup of John McCann Steel Cut Classic Oatmeal
- 4 cups of water
- Pinch of Himalayan salt
- 4 dates
- 1 tsp of chia seeds
- Fresh and dried fruit of choice
- Bring water to rolling boil.
- Add oats, stir until it thickens and reduce the heat down to a simmer.
- Cook for 30 min. Stir occasionally.
- Mix in the chia seeds and dates. Serve warm.
- Top with your choice of dried and fresh fruit.