Grilled Watermelon & Mint Salad
Who would've thought you could grill watermelon? My hubby did! It's unexpectedly delicious and a summertime crowd pleaser around here. Not to mention, creative. We have been getting so creative with our meals and we continue to raise the bar here in the de la heart test kitchen. Enjoy!
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- 4 one-inch thick watermelon slices
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp sherry vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh mint
- 2 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- Tajin or chilli powder to taste
- Soak the onion for 5 minutes with water and 1 tsp of sherry vinegar. Then drain and rinse with paper towels.
- Prepare a medium-hot grill. Brush the watermelons lightly with olive oil. Grilled about 3 minutes per side. Remove from heat and dice. Transfer with juice to a large salad bowl.
- Add onions and remaining ingredients and toss together.
- Grill the watermelon right before you assemble and serve the salad so that the watermelon is hot.
- I prefer to enjoy hot, but you can also let is sit and enjoy cold for a more marinated feel.