By to popular demand I'm sharing my husband's famous tomato sauce. His favorite food is Italian, so together we've created cleaner versions of his favorite dishes. I must say, this one is pretty good! Enjoy with pasta or with eggplant parmigiana, or freeze for later.
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 large clove garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 tsps of fresh oregano
- 1 28-ounce San Marzano tomatoes, crushed or whole
- 1 tablespoon organic red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano leaves
- Salt & freshly ground pepper.
Place a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the olive oil and the onion. Sauté until soft, aprox 10 minutes. Add garlic, oregano and sauté for another 30 seconds. Add tomatoes and their juices, breaking up whole tomatoes. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 15-20 minutes. Next, add the vinegar, basil, and salt and pepper to taste. Recipe can be made to this point and refrigerated, Bring to room temperature before baking.