DIY Brightening Face Mask
As summer comes to an end and our tans are starting to fade...are you noticing little darkened patches on your skin that seem like they're here to stay? These graysish-brown spots, typically on the forehead, chin, cheeks, upper lip, or nose, may signal a condition called melasma. The two main causes for melasma are fluctuations in hormones and sun exposure.
Melasma is a common condition amongst pregnant women (due to the increase in hormones), but it's not limited to them, as it can affect women at all stages of life. I saw my first sign of melasma when I was 25 as a result of many years of unprotected sun exposure while living in South Florida. I saw it darken during the last trimester of my pregnancy.
While melasma is treatable, at the moment there is no cure. The first step to treating this condition is working with a dermatologist, the second step is protecting your skin from the sun, and last but not least is taking the natural beauty route. I have been experimenting with a couple ingredients from my pantry that have brightening properties, and came up with this amazing recipe that is helping me lighten my darkened sun spots. Try it out!
- 1 Bunch of organic parsley
- 3 droppers full of Jojoba Oil
- 3 Tablespoons of Honey
- Thoroughly rinse and finely chop the parsley.
- Add the chopped parsley leaves to a mortar and pestle until the leaves extract juice.
- Add 3 full droppers of jojoba oil and 3 tablespoons of raw honey to the mortar and pestle until ingredients are well mixed.
- Apply to face and let sit for up to 15 minutes.
- Remove with warm water and apply serum.
Benefits of Parsley
- High in vitamin K, which assist in diminishing dark spots and reduce pigmentation scars that appear on the skin.
- Contains myristicin - An antioxidant that prevents free radical damage.
- Rich in Vitamin C - Boosts collagen production and keeps the skin looking younger, reducing wrinkles and fine lines.
Benefits of Jojoba Oil
- Packed with vitamins E and B, along with minerals like copper and zinc, making it deeply nourishing for skin
- Loaded with antioxidants and vitamin E, which reduce inflammation.
Benefits of Raw Honey
- It's enzymes work as a gentle exfoliator, getting rid of any dead skin cells.
- Antibacterial and anti-septic.
- Minimizes any inflammation and helps heal the skin faster.