Red raspberry leaf tea is known to be one of the most commonly used herbs for women. From easing menstrual pain and regulating cycles to facilitating smooth labor, this special herb supports women during their reproductive years well through peri-menopause. As per my Chinese medicine doctor’s recommendation, Dr. Lai Fan Chi, I started drinking one cup of red raspberry tea at 33 weeks pregnant. She believes this herb strengthens the uterus, improves labor outcome and prevents excessive bleeding after childbirth. Many women claim that red raspberry leaf tea helps shorten labor. So I’m giving it a try by having a cup or 2 a day and will document my experience once the baby arrives.
The perks of raspberry leaf tea don't end with birth, especially because it's known to boost breast milk supply and actually helping to repair uterine tissue after giving birth.
Benefits of Raspberry Leaf During Reproductive Years:
- Contains phyto-progesterone properties which help to increase the levels of progesterone, enhancing fertility.
- A compound found in the leaf called ' fragarine' helps to tone & tighten the muscles in the pelvic area and reduces the menstrual cramping caused by the spasms of these muscles.
- Cleanses the blood of the excess hormone and minimises any hormonal imbalance.
- Contains the compound tannins, combating against PMS symptoms such as cramps, nausea and diarrhea.
Benefits of Raspberry Leaf During Pregnancy:
- Compounds in the leaf such as fragarine, help to strengthen & tone the pelvic area and lead to an easier labor.
- Increases blood flow to the uterus improving the effectiveness of contractions during labor.
- Provides iron, niacin, manganese, magnesium, selenium, vitamin A and astringent alkaloids that nourish and contribute to the healing process post birth.
- The high level of B vitamins makes it useful for relieving nausea, soothing leg cramps, and improving sleep
Benefits of Raspberry Leaf During Peri-Menopause:
- Contains ellagic acid, a polyphenol with anti-inflammatory properties that is rich in antioxidants.
- Red raspberry leaf contains nutrients like calcium, iron, potassium, and vitamins A, C and E which makes it an incredible source of beneficial nutrients.
- Could help ease puffiness caused by water retention due to its diuretic effects.