What I’m Packing in My Hospital Bag
October 9 2021·
October 9 2021·
Peace of mind goes a long way when you’re having a baby. I was caught off guard with my first child, as she came before her due date and I wasn’t ready at all. Luckily we had a beautiful home birth and it was easy to maneuver. I always say babies pick the birth that’s right for them, so whether we stay home again this time or end up going to the hospital, I’m planning on getting things organized beforehand to tame the anxiety.
There are a few bare essentials that you absolutely should include in your bag or keep handy if you’re having a home birth. To help other expectant mamas, here’s my list.
- Legal documents—driver’s license, insurance card, hospital paperwork.
- Your birth plan, if you have one.
- Your phone and a charger.
- Nightgown or pjs. I ordered a few sets of Polkadot pjs. Comfy and chic!
- Hair ties to keep your hair out of your face as you labor. I love Slip silk hair ties.
- Hairbrush, toothbrush, toothpaste etc.
- Glasses and extra contacts if you wear lenses.
- Lip balm. My favorite is Laneige lip mask.
- Face moisturizer, face mist ( I love DLH rose water) and any other face products that will make you feel refreshed after labor.
- Deodorant. Safe for pregnancy, breastfeeding, and beyond. Agent Nateur
- Extra-absorbent maxi pads
- Massage oils for labor. I’ll be bringing by de la heart almond and jojoba oils.
- Frida Postpartum Kit—which includes delivery and nursing gown, socks, disposable underwear, peri bottle (this one is a must!), instant ice maxi pads, perineal cooling pad liners, perineal healing foam.
- Nursing bra. I’m personally not a fan of nursing bras. I prefer these soft sport bras from Hanro. They have the match undies and they’re so comfortable! Worth the splurge.
- Cozy socks. I’ll be bringing my favorite pairs from KRUK.
- Cardigan, hoodie or sweatpants in case you get cold. My go-to for fleece is Pangaia.
- Food! Snacks to eat during and after labor. I don’t know about you, but I was so hungry during labor. So think fruits, smoothies, crackers, granola, veggie sticks, and any other nutritious nibbles you can think of.
- Music or headphones. You can play soothing music or your favorite guided meditations from Insight Timer.
- A camera for you to record as many memories as you can.
- Diapers for the baby. For newborns I like Coterie or Honest.
- Extra pjs and change of clothes.
- An outfit for your baby to wear home. Baby Vogel will be wearing this soft set from Kyte Baby and the matching hat.
- Socks or booties
- A receiving blanket and a couple of burp cloths.
- Extra layers like swaddles and baby blankets in case it’s cold.
- A set of washcloths to clean him post-birth. I like the ones from Kyte baby.
- Weleda Baby Soap and a soft cloth to remove any meconium and any blood.